Check the Original Vehicle Manufacturer
When buying a vehicle which have been imported from North America and modified from left to right hand drive, VDC recommends that consumers check to see if the original vehicle manufacturer’s (“OVM”) build sticker (datum plate) is still affixed to the vehicle. By way of example, on a Ford Super Duty, Ford’s build sticker is to be found at the bottom of the leftside “B” pillar and for F-150 on the front left door. All Ford, GMC, Dodge and Chevrolet trucks have an OVM build sticker. If the OVM’s build sticker is still affixed, there are a number of details that you need to check. If it has been removed there are a number of question you need to ask. This is important for a number of reasons. First, what model year will you be buying? Is the vehicle being sold as a current model as per the OVM’s designation, or is it being sold by reference to the date when the vehicle has been modified by the Australian vehicle modifier/secondary manufacturer? The OVM’ build sticker will state the date when the vehicle was manufactured by it and will therefore inform you of the year model by reference to the designation of the OVM’s classification. If the OVM’s build sticker has been removed, check to ascertain whether the vehicle is being sold by reference to the date of secondary manufacture by the Australian vehicle modifier/secondary manufacturer or the date of manufacture by the OVM. The OVM’ build sticker will also state key specification’s such as gross vehicle mass. If the OVM’s build sticker has been removed, questions that you need to ask include:
- What was the date of manufacture of the vehicle by the OVM?
- What is the model year as per the OVM’s designation?
- Is the vehicle old stock from a North American dealer’s yard?
- Has the vehicle ever been previously registered/titled in the United States?
- Is the vehicle being sold with the same key specifications (that would otherwise be shown on the OVM’s build sticker) as per the original vehicle manufacturer’s specifications?
All VDC vehicles come with the OVM’s build sticker.